LOS ANGELES, CA. (December 3, 2019) - Today, The Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) outlined rules and procedures ahead of its upcoming 2020 Season Expansion Draft for the seventh Lacrosse Club. More details on the Expansion Lacrosse Club, including the Club name, identity, and coaching staff, will be announced in the coming weeks.
Expansion Draft Rules:
- For the 2020 Season, each of the seven Lacrosse Clubs will carry 25 total players (Active Roster), with 18 players dressing each game (Travel Roster).
- On January 13th, 2020, the original 6 Lacrosse Clubs will be required to submit a roster of 11 protected players to the PLL League Office (1 goalie and 10 positional players). These players will be immune from selection by the seventh Lacrosse Club in the Expansion Draft.
- Any player not protected by their existing Lacrosse Club will be entered into the pool of players that is eligible to be selected by the seventh Lacrosse Club in the Expansion Draft.
- The seventh Lacrosse Club will draft a total of 18 players in the Expansion Draft.
- No more than 4 players can be selected from a single existing Lacrosse Club in the Expansion Draft. If the seventh Lacrosse Club selects 4 players from an existing Lacrosse Club, any remaining non-protected players from that Lacrosse Club will be immediately removed from the Expansion Draft pool and retained by their original Lacrosse Club.
- Certain players will be excluded from the eligible pool of players during the Expansion Draft, and who will not need to be protected by their existing Lacrosse Club. This list includes active military members and rookie holdouts (i.e. did not make one appearance on a Travel Roster during 2019 season).
- After the Expansion Draft, all seven Lacrosse Clubs will be required to submit their updated 25-man Active Rosters to the PLL League Office. Players that are not placed on an Active Roster will be designated to the Player Pool.
ABOUT PREMIER LACROSSE LEAGUE
The Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) brings the sport of lacrosse to a national stage for the first time through a tour-based model, complete with the best players the sport has to offer. Co-founded by lacrosse superstar, philanthropist, and investor Paul Rabil and his brother, serial entrepreneur and investor, Mike Rabil, the Premier Lacrosse League is backed by an investment group comprised of The Raine Group, Joe Tsai Sports, Brett Jefferson Holdings and Creative Artists Agency (CAA). The PLL’s inaugural season began on June 1, 2019 with six clubs that embarked on a 14-week season that concluded with a playoff and PLL Championship Game. The PLL season is distributed through an exclusive media-rights agreement with NBC Sports Group. For more information, visit www.premierlacrosseleague.com and follow on social media: Instagram (@PLL), Twitter (@PremierLacrosse), Facebook (@PremierLacrosseLeague) and YouTube (YouTube.com/PLL).